Friday, October 25, 2013

Relentless

For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you.--2 Corinthians 2:4.

I stumbled upon this verse as I was looking through my bookmarks on the Bible app, and it really made me think of today. I was (literally) riding off into the sunset in my (un)trusty steed, Robert, listening to Hillsong United's Zion album, thinking about how I a) am a failure when it comes to my relationship with God, and b) am surprised that He hasn't given up on me yet, because I'm a pretty terrible person like 75% of the time. I was looking at the sunset, and admiring how beautiful it was, when all of a sudden 'Scandal of Grace' came on and I just started straight up sobbing. While driving. Which isn't fun for anybody. So, as I'm trying to pull myself together, I started the song over and listened--and I mean really listened. (If you're unfamiliar with the song, I really encourage you to find it on Hillsong's YouTube channel and take a listen). 

I'm listening to this song, and all I keep thinking about is how much I suck and how unworthy I am, and how undeserving I am of His love. I'm thinking about how much I wish I could let down my defenses and really be still and know. The song ends and 'Relentless' comes on (if you can't tell I am totally in love with this album). 

Your love is relentless. This is the whole point of this song. HIS LOVE IS RELENTLESS. It doesn't matter if you're a poopy person and can't get your act together and give up the toxic things and people of the world and follow Him with 100% of your being. Does it make Him sad? Absolutely. Does that mean He stops loving you? Not at all. I think I forget that Jesus dying on the cross took an extraordinate amount of unconditional love.

I like to imagine it this way. If you knew your best friend in the world was going to do something vile to you, or betray you, would you continue being friends with them? Probably not, because it's a) hard for us to forgive anyways, and b) hard to believe that our bfffff's would ever do anything like that. Jesus knows what choices we're going to make in our lives; even the really terrible ones. And He still loves us despite of them! 

The point is, He died for us because He thought we were worth it. As hard as that is to believe sometimes, it will never NOT be true. His love knows no bounds.

I think some days I really just need to remember this. I am worth it. I am loved. I am worth it. I am loved. I am worth it. I am loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment